Home My Page Projects PaStiX
Summary Activity Forums Lists Docs News Files

Forum: open-discussion

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Warning related to number of processing cores [ Reply ]
By: Pierre Ramet on 2017-09-14 15:03
[forum:151542]
Dear Chris,
this warning indicates that the number of threads is greater than the number of physical cores available on the node. The HWLOC library is then not able to bind the additional threads on a core. The solver parallelizes the computations on the number of threads that you request, and the warning is only for information. But, you can not suppress it, except removing the corresponding line in the code... In term of performance, even with hyperthreading, you should not have more threads than physical cores.

And a new release of PaStiX 6.0 should be soon available on : https://gitlab.inria.fr/solverstack/pastix
This release is a shared memory version, MPI is not available yet and will come with 6.1.0.

Best regards,
Pierre.

Warning related to number of processing cores [ Reply ]
By: C K on 2017-09-13 18:26
[forum:151541]
Dear all,

I am running Pastix on a machine with 36 cores per node and when performing runs with more than 36 cores I am getting the following:

WARNING: hwloc_get_obj_by_type failed to find cores

Please note that the numerical results that I am obtaining with Pastix are correct despite the warning. Do you have any indication of why this warning occurs? Is there perhaps a way to suppress it?

Thank you so much for your help.

Chris.